Tuesday, October 27, 2009

LIBERATION!

I have been wanting to "edit" my friends list on Facebook for some time. I had exactly 500 friends the other day. I kind of thought, "WOW 500 friends. " I tried to only add people that I have met in person. I then looked over my friends list and saw the smiling faces of relatives, close friends and way to many acquaintances.

" I saw this person in the halls in HS ... 10+ years ago, I don't think we ever talked"

"I went to a party with a friend to this persons house, I've seen them once since and that was 6 years ago"

" I don't even recognize this name at all"

I have the regular 'securities' on my profile where you have to be a friend to be able to see my page. And I HAD met at one time or another EVERY person on my friends list. But what it came down to was I had to ask my self:

When was the last time I've talked to this person?
Did they play an important enough roll in my life to keep them around?
Am I comfortable with them seeing things and pictures I post of me and my children?

So last night I went through and deleted over half of my list, I may have gotten a little click happy and maybe deleted people I could have kept. But I guess if its that important to them the will make it known. But I am worried about offending some people.

SO, if you find that you were deleted, and you are indeed offended. I am truly sorry. Perhaps we could make an effort to keep our friendship up to date and that way we can always be sure we are friends :)

6 comments:

Rachel said...

I wasn't deleted!!!!!

Richard & Natalie said...

I so need to do that. I only have 301 friends (over 50 are family), unlike your 500, but it takes too much time trying to see what everyone is up to. Precious time I need to use doing other things. So good for you for being brave once again AND I am glad I made the cut! :)

MOMster said...

I also need to go through my friends. I'm glad you didn't get rid of me. ;)

Chastina said...

I know what you mean. I keep thinking that I should clean up my list.

BeatlesDiva said...

I was thinking about doing this myself, but I figured...these people were a part of my life at some point, who knows what the future might bring. I guess I'm just nostalgic and have a hard time letting go of friendships no matter how big or small they were at one point.

Ryan and Heather Achatz said...

Wow, I hope I made the cut. :) Ryan needs to do that. He has added "friends" that I know better than he does and who aren't on my list. Silly kid. :)