So my 2nd Phlebotomy class was on Saturday and let me tell you, I am loving it! We got to poke eachother. I had been practicing turoqueting people at work and home to feel their veins so that I would do better at finding them. I really only stuggled to find them on a few people. So when I got to class I was pretty confident that I would be able to find the veins and hopefully poke them as well. The first girl poked someone and she shook so bad that I think it made everyone nervous. I volunteered to be poked next since that was what I was worried about most and if I got that over with I probably wouldn't be so nervous. So she poked me and it didn't hurt at all. We didn't know if we were in the vein until we attacked the tube and saw if we got blood flow. Well the girl attached the tube and all we could hear was a sucking sound and if totally freaked me out. What had happened was she didn't all of the bevel (see picture) into the vein just the tip. so when
the vacutainer was attached it just started sucking air. She pulled it out and man did my arm ache. Its better now but we all learned a lesson. It was my turn to poke next and after all of my vein palpating preparations I was ready but still nervous I was going to hurt her. Well I put on the turnoquet and couldn't see a vein anywhere so I started feeling around and there was a great one, I just couldn't see it. So the instructor told me that I needed to trust my self. I felt it and just becuase I couldn't see it didn't mean that it wasn't there. So I slowly pushed the needle in and then attached the tube hoping for blood and WOOHOO I did it. I was so excited that I got it.
I am excited for the classes coming up and hopefully will get to start an externship so that I can get it done and hopefully start with Phlebotomy here at the hospital.
anyone want to let me practice ? ;)
10 comments:
You are cute...I am glad your class is going so well and that you are excited about what you are doing.
Watch out people....here comes Denae! (and her bevel....)
I have to be honest, that kind of gives me a woosey feeling just reading about it. haha. I am sure glad that there are people like you though that can help the rest of us out. Sounds like its going good.
Way to go!
you vampire!
good for you! Kris had to do a rotation in phlebotomy a couple of weeks ago for some reason and he said it was interesting.
Sounds to me like you're a natural!
Yeah Denea! You are going to be great! I am sad though. If you do go to phlebotomy I will not see you...you know when I do actually work!
I think Phlebotomy is so cool! I miss it. I worked at a plasma center as a phlebotomist for a few years in school. Once you got it you got it. I think you just have to get over that initial fear! It sounds like your doing great!
I do love you... however, you are not poking me LOL! Even the best of the best have a hard time sucking my blood- happy to hear that it's going well though!
I absolutely detest having my blood taken and am always so grateful when I get somebody who can do it well and quickly. Sounds like you're on your way to becoming one of the good ones!
You're welcome to my veins anytime - I have really good ones. Seriously. I've gotten more than one compliment from blood-takers.
Post a Comment